THE URANIAN INSTITUTE
URANIAN ASTROLOGY -- AN EVOLUTIONARY DEVELOPMENT OF THE HAMBURG SCHOOL OF ASTROLOGY
Born in German East Prussia in 1921, Ruth Brummund moved to Hamburg in 1945 at the end of World War II. She has been busy and productive as an astrologer for decades, and since her move to Hamburg, the sphere of her clientele and following has radiated gradually outward from northern Germany.
Through intensive work with Astrology, for which she has had an ongoing fascination, Ruth Brummund became a student of Cosmobiology under the tutelage of the eminent Hamburg astrologer Edith Wangemann in 1956. In immediately subsequent years, Ms Brummund, trained as a chemist, focused her energies on setting up and developing a business with her husband. As the marriage dissolved, she found herself faced with the challenge and opportunity of becoming an independent professional. She did not confine herself to previously existing knowledge, but pursued new issues with a scientific approach. Due to favorable circumstances, she met up with the Hamburg School of Astrology in 1969. Under its umbrella stand the astrological innovations of Alfred Witte, including the employment of Transneptunian factors, already in step with astronomical discoveries at the beginning of the 21st century. The Hamburg School thus established its own unique approach to Astrology. Ludwig Rudolph, student and later colleague of Alfred Witte, and Ruth's next mentor, further developed Witte's concepts, which in turn stimulated even more evolved ideas. Based on the planetary calculations of Witte, Ms Brummund developed the first detailed and readily usable ephemeris of Transneptunian objects (1), which appeared in 1972. Its appearance was key to a noticeable increase of interest in the United States in the methods of the Hamburg School, which had become known there as "Uranian Astrology". Even further interest is being stimulated internationally by the English translation of The Brummund Technique Book (2) and the Russian translation of an earlier Handbook which Ms Brummund co-authored with Udo Rudolph, son of Ludwig Rudolph. Ms Brummund is the author of additional important German-language Uranian references, including Astropsychologische Charaktermerkmale (Astropsychological Character Attributes) (3); Ortsmeridiane und Ortsaszendenten für Wichtige Weltstädte (Local Meridians and Local Ascendants for Major World Cities) (4); research on the effects of Venus and Cupido on artistic temperament (5); and the crowning achievement among her publications is the The Brummund Rulebook (6), the first edition published in 1979 by Witte/Rudolph Verlag, and the second significantly expanded 1990 edition, now self-published by Ms Brummund. This book rapidly became one of the major references among German midpoint astrologers, and promises to become a standard reference for English-speaking midpoint astrologers worldwide. Ruth has continually asserted that the cosmos has its regular patterns which influence us, yet we stand free to use these cosmic gifts to attain the objectives of our choice. Following several years study in philosophy and psychology, Ruth Brummund complemented and validated her substantial knowledge and experience in psychological astrology in 1987 with a Diploma in Psychology. Since that time she has been at the forefront of integrating leading-edge astrological perspectives together with Uranian Astrology techniques, keeping the field in step with the natural flow of contemporary intellectual evolution through a balanced synthesis of psychological astrology with functional assessment and prediction techniques.
(1) Transneptun Ephemeride: Prior to its publication in 1972, the only readily available ephemerides for the Transneptunians of Witte & Sieggrün listed yearly positions, and precise positions had to be calculated manually. For this reason, the appearance of Ruth's ephemeris was a key stimulus to the spread of Uranian Astrology. Subsequent editions were revised with new planetary data from James Neely, bringing them up-to-date with current knowledge of the planets.
(2) A book by Udo Rudolph and Ruth Brummund entitled Handbuch zur Astrologie Hamburger Schule appeared in German in 1985, and was subsequently translated into Russian and English in the 1990s as the "Handbook of Techniques for the Hamburg School". However, Ms Brummund has since that time written the Uranische Techniken Hamburger Astrologen, which first appeared in German in 1994. To distinguish this from the earlier Handbook co-authored with Rudolph, the English translation will be called The Brummund Technique Book [for excerpts, click here]. The newer Brummund Technique Book contains significantly more detailed explanations of the nature of the Transneptunians as well as of the Uranian Astrological Mandala. There are also significant new materials explaining midpoints, rectification techniques, partnership analysis, Local Meridians and Ascendants (similar to Geodetics) and mundane astrology, and the book is presented in the format of a single, coherent and streamlined methodology. This book is authored, owned, copyright, and published by Ruth Brummund, with English translation rights designated to Blake Finley. The methods are among those taught and used in Finley's 21st Century Uranian Astrology newsletter, and in the Special Uranian Astrology computer program by Aureas Software.
(3) Astropsychologische Charaktermerkmale, Systeme Hamburger Schule: When this book appeared in 1972, it revolutionized Uranian Astrology in Germany. Character analysis is an important branch of astrology. With the help of this book one can penetrate more deeply and fully the various dimensions of a personality than by means of any other aid. The language of psychology is adapted to astrological symbolism. The content of the book has since been incorporated into The Brummund Rulebook.
(4) Ortsmeridiane und Ortsaszendenten von Welthauptstädten: Published in 1979, this book provides reference data for a variation on Geodetic Astrology that equates degrees of geographic longitude with RAMC, rather than celestial longitude (as per Sepharial), according to the system of A.M. Grimm.
(5) Kunstlerhoroskope im Vergleich: Published in 1988, this thesis was not widely distributed, but may hopefully be available soon in English translation. A study of the frequency of Venus and Cupido in the charts of professional artists, It is a cornerstone for future research on the effects of the Transneptunians.
(6) Regelwerk--Neufassung: This book also revolutionized midpoint astrology in Europe. It recognizes that the traditional variations on interpretations of the planetary triplicites often overlap, and are more complex than simple planetary order. According to the official Hamburg School list of publications issued in the 1980s, this book is "an expansion upon and reworking of the Rulebook by Witte-Lefeldt. It includes two categories of interpretation: 'characterstics', and 'experiences'". The first edition of this book appeared in 1979, incorporating the material from the Astropsychologische Charaktermerkmale along with standard interpretations for event and physical manifestations. This first edition has since been superceded by the larger and far more extensive second expanded edition which first appeared in 1990 and is a major reference worldwide for all students and practitioners of midpoint astrology. The English translation of this book is included, in electronic format, and searchable, in the Special Uranian Astrology computer program by Aureas Software (click here for details.
ENGLISH-LANGUAGE ARTICLES BY RUTH BRUMMUND
[UB = Uranian Beacon/Uranian Institute]
|The Hamburg School
What and who is the Ascendant? : UB.Dec.1999
The Transneptunians and Cultural Archetypes : UB.Dec.1999Introduction to the Brummund Rulebook, Second Expanded Edition : UB.Jan.2000
Uranian Astrology in the 21st Century: UB.Feb.2000
History of the Mandala : UB.Dec.2000
History of the Hamburg School since 1970: UB.Dec.2000
Gustav Jung and the Mandala
Spirituality in the Natal Chart: UB.Jan.2001
Sensitive Points, Sums, and Midpoints: UB.Jan.2001
Sums compared to Midpoints: UB.Jan.2001
Beginning Lessons in Uranian Astrology UB.Jun-Sep.2001
Philipp the Journalist UB.Aug.2002
The Value of Sensitive Points UB.Nov.2003
Sigmund Freud and Jung UB.May.2007
THE URANIAN BEACON (TM) : INTELLIGENT ASTROLOGY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY